Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Digital Writing Reflection



  • What did you learn about yourself as a writer?
    • I believe that I am a procrastinator largely due to my fear of sharing my personal thoughts and ideas. More often than not, I have been convincing myself of all the negative qualities of my writing rather than focusing on the positive. Posting these blogs has show me that, in the nicest terms possible, that it doesn’t really matter what others believe if I am happy with my writing.

  • What did you learn about digital writing or being a member of a digital writing community?
    • I have found that a digital writing community is far more beneficial than I had originally thought. None of the participants were actively trying to pick apart another’s writing; everyone was doing the best they could to provide advice and commentary to each other.

  • What lessons can you take to your classroom or share with future teachers about integrating blogging into instruction?
    • Publishing your work, no matter how innate or simple, can be a very empowering act. Being able to post, gather responses, and respond on others gives a sense of camaraderie and pride in one’s own work.

  • Challenges/Successes?
    • The biggest challenge I faced was actually writing out my thoughts or ideas and not over-analyzing them to the point that I was deleting the entire thing. Sometimes, flow of consciousness is the best way to express an idea and worrying about how you might be taken isn’t as important as you think.



4 comments:

  1. Thanks for admitting your procrastination. I think it's a problem that a lot of us have, I know I'm pretty bad about it. I like the emphasis you placed on publishing work. I think it's a small thing that we, as teachers, can easily overlook but that can greatly impact students. Oddly enough, I have more difficulty writing about personal topics than writing typical academic papers, so I agree that just writing what comes to mind can sometimes be the best - and least stressful - method. Thanks for a great semester. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it would be silly to believe that none of us procrastinate, at least every once in a while. More often than not, we ourselves are our biggest critiques, challenges, roadblocks, what have you, and getting over that hump is typically very difficult. It's interesting to see who does and does not feel comfortable with sharing personal writing. For whatever reason, I've always been able to share immensely personal topics in my writing... I'm not sure why this is, or if I can really offer advice to you on it, but I will say, the more often you share, the easier it does become.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Daniel- I don't procrastinate...I work deadline to deadline and there are far too many of them! perhaps that is your issue! No matter your timing, you did persevere and push through! Good work tackling that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also struggled with over analyzing my posts. I am not confident enough in my writing to just post without re-reading it, at least a dozen times!

    ReplyDelete