Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Open Post #1 - Quotes


Trying to come up with a post topic, I somehow ended up browsing for new books to read over on GoodReads. All readers understand this shirking of responsibility in order to find the next story they are going to dive into. While I was there, I happened upon the quotes section of a book and decided to make my post about my favorite literary quotes. There are times when authors can express an idea or feeling so well that I wouldn't try to create my own version. Also, so it doesn’t just come off as a list with no real meaning, I thought I could include a little excerpt about what the quote means to me.

“And will I tell you that these three lived happily ever after? I will not, for no one ever does. But there was happiness. And they did live.”
Stephen King, The Dark Tower

When my wife was near the end of her third trimester with our first child, I was reading through the Dark Tower series again. I vividly remember sitting there, getting to this line, and looking over at my very pregnant wife who was napping on the couch. Something about the way she looked coupled with the crazy amount of emotions that are involved with getting ready to bring a child into the world had me feeling reflective. I told myself that I wasn’t going to be one of those parents who were going to plan every aspect of every moment or get upset over inane things like stained rugs and drawn-on walls. There is no way to plan a “happily ever after” but I will always strive to make sure we are at least finding as much happiness as possible.

“I stopped believing there was a power of good and a power of evil that were outside us. And I came to believe that good and evil are names for what people do, not for what they are.”
Philip Pullman, The Amber Spyglass

My beliefs aren’t ones that I speak about openly. Unless the person listening has a genuine interest in the topic. Too many arguments, too many hurt feelings, and way too many people get angry when you share an idea or belief that doesn’t align with theirs. This quote, however, sums up my belief on the whole “good and evil” idea. We all have the ability to do horrible things and do helpful things; it is up to each of us to choose which one is most fulfilling to ourselves.

“It’s so f***ing cheap when people say I love you. It’s a name to stick on a surge of hormones, with a little hint of loyalty thrown in. I’ve never liked saying it. Here’s what I say: We’re together, now and until the end. You have everything I need to be happy. You make me feel right.”
Joe Hill, The Fireman

                                                                        
Knowing that you want to be with someone until you are both too old and senile to remember one another sounds like something you would hear in a Ryan Gosling movie. The words “I love you” aren’t things that are grand and amazing anymore. I love my kids. I love my friends. I love books. I love Netflix. Love is just another word to use when you are fond of something. Reading this quote, I immediately copied it down and sent it to my wife. It sums up our relationship far better than any amount of “I love yous” ever will.

“It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends.”
J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

What good would a list of quotes be without some Harry Potter thrown in? I have a hard time picking one single quote but this one sums up a part of my life that was very beneficial. Growing up with very… let’s say “opinionated” family members and ending up with a group of friends that you aren’t the best types of people can be rough. My wife and I have cut out huge portions of our friendships and interaction with family members due to this and whenever I am feeling like maybe I should just go back to being friendly with people who did nothing but bad for my life, I like to use this quote as a way to put myself back into my right mind.

“I'd far rather be happy than right any day.”
Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Pretty self-explanatory for anyone who is in a relationship of any sorts. There are so many times where you just want to argue your point but is it worth it? If it is, go for it. If possibly ruining a friendship or relationship over some unimportant conversation means the world to you, you should do it. I am constantly weighing my options and choosing to be happy instead of getting into a fight about where the ending of Lost made sense or not.

“Don't ask for guarantees. And don't look to be saved in any one thing, person, machine, or library. Do your own bit of saving, and if you drown, at least die knowing you were heading for shore.”
Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451

Finding a decent job, right out of high school, was both helpful and a hindrance. It was easy to just fall into basics of a job that wasn’t too demanding, paid alright, and provided outstanding benefits. This was the type of guarantee that was making me miserable. With no chance of advancement and nothing challenging me, the job grew stagnant and it was starting to show in my life outside of work. Teaching was always that “saving” I wanted to do and I finally reached a point where I realized that pursuing my desire to become a teacher, no matter the outcome, was something I simply had to go for.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Daniel,
    there's some great quotes in here. I think the personal significances you added not only were eloquent, but thoughtful and meaningful as well. It takes a degree of modesty to admit that sometimes other people say what you're thinking better than you ever will, but I definitely have found myself in that situation countless times. Have you ever read The Unbearable Lightness of Being? God, if you're looking for a book with an insufferable amount of heart-wrenching quotes, that's definitely not a bad place to start.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved how you shared your quotes, what they meant to you and why they are important--not just quotes. I think that is what drives me crazy sometimes about quotes people post on the internet. People rarely tell you their why or story. Kudos for sharing Phillip Pullman, one of my favs.

    ReplyDelete